- This event has passed.
VDEM L0102: Science of Disasters
November 18, 2019 @ 8:00 am - November 20, 2019 @ 5:00 pm EST
L0102: Science of Disasters
Dates: November 18-20, 2019
Times: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Location: Prince William County EOC, 3 County Complex Ct., Woodbridge, Virginia 22192
To Register: Click here https://covlc.virginia.gov/ (last day to register is November 15th)
Purpose: The Science of Disasters course provides participants with an overview of scientific
principles, concepts, and phenomena related to a wide variety of hazards, disasters, and
emergency situations. In this three-day class, students will:
• Explore ways of thinking about science and its applications in emergency management.
• Explore the various ways science shapes the practice of emergency management.
• Explore the fundamentals of earth science and relates the earth’s design to common
• Describe the scientific basis of common natural hazards.
• Identify the scientific basis of biological and chemical threats.
• Identify the scientific basis of explosive, radiological, and nuclear threats.
• Examine the role of prediction and our capability to expect the unexpected.
EM Basic Academy Requirement: This is a required course in the Emergency Management
Basic Academy program.
Required: 119-25 https://training.fema.gov/apply/119-25-2.pdf
Target Audience: This course is highly recommended for all emergency management and public
safety professionals interested in developing a deeper understanding of the science shaping our
increasingly dangerous world.
Registration Instructions: Registration will be done electronically via the Commonwealth of
Virginia Knowledge Center at: https://covlc.virginia.gov/. If you need help or have questions,
please contact the Help Desk at 804-897-9995, 8-5 M-F or email: LMSHelp@vdem.virginia.gov.